Friday, 25 June 2010

A. A. Milne

Forgiven

I found a little beetle, so that beetle was his name,
And I called him Alexander and he answered just the same.
I put him in a matchbox, and I kept him all the day...

And Nanny let my beetle out
Yes, Nanny let my beetle out
She went and let my beetle out-
And beetle ran away.


I found him on my way out of the pub, its that time of year apparently. Anyway, this was the night of the show, which went rather well, not too much alcohol, but just enough obviously, well for me to get so excited over a beetle. Now we are six, was my favourite book as a child, and this was my favourite story, so rather fitting I'd say.
I have finished college now, and I could say it's a relief, but I find myself with nothing to do. I want to set myself projects, and carry on as normal, staying up all night cutting, sticking, and painting. I am also quite adamant that I wont stop painting over the summer. The thought of getting to Falmouth and feeling that I've forgotten how to do so is terrifying.

Well, for college I had to last minute make a film log, and I wrote about 20 films in the space of 24 hours, and I thought it would be a long time until I would want to again.
But here we are with, 'Synedoche New York', I watched it about a week ago, and it is truly beautiful, I have to admit I did spend the whole night thinking about the rest of my life and all of the failings I will endure, and how the people I love will most likely leave me or die, but surely that is the sign of a good film. Phillip Seymore Hoffman plays the main character, Caden Cotard, who in the beginning is a struggling father, dealing with his artist wife who doesn't come to the shows he produces and stays home to get stoned with her friends, and his daughters fear of her 'green poop'.
Throughout it's a battle for him with love and women, and his constant illness and growing fear of death. There is loads of little hints at motifs all the way through the film, like Caden making a huge theatre production to try and make the biggest thing, and how Adele his first wife, paints tiny images which get smaller throughout the film to show how she has achieved her goal and how little she need to do to show it.
It all seems to become so surreal as in his play in the warehouse there are people to play the people who are playing others, there is a warehouse inside of the warehouse where the production is, which is built completely the same, amazingly seems so in scale also, these warehouses just keep getting built into one another. I guess that explains the morbid feeling of death you get after watching it especially with Cadens constant talk about his death and how he goes from doctor to doctor never knowing what is wrong with him, and his daughter dying, who he knew up to the age of seven, then only saw twice more, once naked in a Berlin show girl booth, covered in tattoos of flowers, and again on her deathbed, the flowers have wilted as has she.
BUT I should stop with the boring film talk, that no one wants to read, not that anyone reads this anyway... I guess its just self satisfaction right?
So I guess thats it for tonight. Thankyou and sweet dreams.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. synedoche new york - is it a film?? i cant find it anywhere:( x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes it is a film, its actually amazing! you need to watch, they sell it on hmv.com :) x

    ReplyDelete